On 12th October, City Science hosted the third and final webinar in its ‘Navigating Transport Decarbonisation’ series. The series aimed to provide practitioners and local authorities with the tools and information to press ahead with transport decarbonisation.
This well-received event, entitled ‘Local Solutions to a Global Problem’, focused on how we can deliver meaningful transport action and change at a local authority level to help them achieve their own net zero targets.
Chaired by Elliot Reid (Associate Director – Transport, City Science), this topic was explored in presentations and a panel discussion with:
- Kate Morris (Head of Transport Planning, Leeds City Council)
- Mark Valleley (Technical Lead and Transport Decarbonisation Forum Chair, Transport for the South East)
- Spencer Powell (Principal Consultant, LDA Design) - a co-author with City Science of RTPI’s Net Zero Transport: the role of spatial planning and place-based solutions (available here)
- Heather Watkinson (Associate Director – Net Zero, City Science)
- Bob Hickish (Senior Transport Planning Consultant, City Science)
Presentations and discussions during the webinar sparked insightful debate among the panellists, with the audience proactively engaging. Specific themes covered included:
- The tools and information available for local authorities to support them with decarbonisation
- Navigating the local political landscape
- The issues around delivering potentially controversial transport decarbonisation action
- The secondary benefits of transport decarbonisation schemes i.e. improving air quality, improving public health through active travel
- The role of the Department for Transport in helping local authorities to achieve net zero
All three webinar recordings in the series are available here if you missed one or would like to share them with colleagues.
If you have questions or wish to discuss any needs around decarbonisation, please do contact us via email@example.com.